• Skip navigation bar
  • Home
  • Search
  • Site Map
  • Dr. Martin Ortega

    Family Medicine
    Asst. Professor
    TTUHSC - Permian Basin 
    JAMP Alumnus

    "JAMP was my first true glimpse into medicine. It gave me as an undergraduate student, without personal or family ties to medicine, a look into not only a practicing physician's daily life but knowledge into the logistics and training that took place before he/she got there."

    Read more about Dr. Ortega's journey.

    Texas Residency Policy

    Determining Residency

    Under Texas state law, each person who applies for admission to a Texas public college or university is classified either as a resident of Texas, a nonresident, or a foreign (international) student. JAMP makes this determination at the time of application in order to place the applicant in the appropriate applicant pool - resident vs. non-resident. 

    Determining residency for the applicant pool is different than determining residency for tuition purposes. Residency for admission and tuition purposes at a public college or university in Texas is also different from residency for voting or taxing purposes.

    Establishing Residency

    Individuals can establish Texas residency in two basic ways, one based on graduation from high school and the other based on the establishment of domicile. The option related to establishment of domicile is available to citizens or permanent residents of the US and to international students who hold certain types of visas.

    Option 1: Residency through High School Graduation

    This option for establishing Texas residency is available to citizens or permanent residents of the US and to international students.

    To establish residency through high school graduation, you must have:

    • Graduated from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and
    • Lived in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
    • Lived in Texas continuously for the 12 months immediately preceding the application deadline, September 29

    Option 2: Residency by Establishing Domicile

    This option for establishing Texas residency is available to:

    • Citizens or permanent residents of the US (Non-citizens and non-permanent residents may also use this option if they have an application for permanent residency on file with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.)

    If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in the state. If your parent(s) claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in the state for you to claim residency.

    To establish domicile, you or your parent(s) must meet the following criteria:

    • Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months by the application deadline, September 29; and
    • Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months prior to the application deadline, September 29, by doing one of the following:
      • Be gainfully employed in Texas (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment)
        • Gainful employment is employment that provides an income that is sufficient to provide at least one-half of the individual's tuition and living expenses or that represents an average of at least twenty hours of employment per week
      • Sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, having established and maintained a domicile at the residence
      • Own and operate a business in Texas
      • Be married for one year to a person who has established domicile in Texas

    Residency will be determined by applying the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Rules and Regulations for Determining Residence Status at the time of application. JAMP does not presume residency. Residency can change during the application period. All schools are notified at the time a change of residency occurs. It will be up to each school's discretion to determine which pool an applicant will be placed in if eligibility for reclassification occurs after the deadline for filing an application but before matriculation into medical school.

    If Texas residency is questionable, JAMP may request that the applicant provide documentation to support answers to the Core Residency Questions.

    Residency Appeals

    If, after final processing of your application, you have been classified as a non-Texas resident, you have the option to appeal your residency determination.

    To appeal your determination, you must write a letter stating why you should be considered a Texas resident and providing any additional information to state your case further. Your letter should be addressed to the Residency Appeals Committee. The committee will review the information you submit and make a determination; the decision of the Residency Appeals Committee is final. No further levels of appeal are possible.

    Submit your appeal through any of the following methods:

    JAMP Attn: Residency Appeals Committee
    U. S. Postal Mail Address: 
    Attn: Residency Appeals Committee
    P.O. Box 2175
    Austin, TX 78768
    Street Address (for overnight letter or package delivery):
    Attn: Residency Appeals Committee
    210 W.  7th Street
    Austin, Texas 78701

    512-499-4786, Attn: Residency

    Texas Residency Regulations

    For detailed information about regulations relating to residency in the State of Texas, visit the College for All Texans Residency Information page.