• Skip navigation bar
  • Home
  • Search
  • Site Map
  • Dr. Martin Ortega

    Family Medicine
    Asst. Professor
    TTUHSC - Permian Basin 
    JAMP Alumnus

    "JAMP was my first true glimpse into medicine. It gave me as an undergraduate student, without personal or family ties to medicine, a look into not only a practicing physician's daily life but knowledge into the logistics and training that took place before he/she got there."

    Read more about Dr. Ortega's journey.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Is JAMP only students interested in medical school?

    JAMP is for students wanting to become a medical doctor (MD) or a doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO).

    What is considered economically disadvantaged?

    JAMP defines "economically disadvantaged" as a student who has an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) up to 8000, calculated from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA), unless other evidence of economic disadvantaged status exists.
    You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your EFC.

    Do I have to be a Texas Resident to apply to JAMP?

    Yes. You must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident with Texas as your state of residency. In addition, you must be a Texas resident for purposes of tuition under Subchapter B, Chapter 54 of the Texas Education Code. Please refer to our Texas residency page for more information.

    If you are unsure about your residency qualifications, please contact the JAMP office.

    How would I know if I want to become a doctor?

    You should also make sure you are ready for this career. See what it really takes to become a doctor.

    How do I find out who the JAMP Faculty Director is at my prospective c0llege?

    Find a list of the JAMP Faculty Directors by school on our Participating Universities page.

    How do I get an application?

    The application to JAMP is online only. No paper version of the application is available. You can begin your application to JAMP, you can click on the [Applicant Login] tab at the top of each page on our website.

    When do I apply?

    The online JAMP application will be available May 1 through September 29 for the 2017 cycle.

    Applicants must complete and submit an online application by September 29.

    What do I need to fill out a JAMP Application?

    In addition to submitting the JAMP Application by the indicated deadline, JAMP requires the following additional supporting documents be submitted by your JAMP Faculty Director no later than October 15. These are:

    • A copy of your High School Transcript and Class Rank reviewed by your University’s Office of Admissions.
    • SAT/ACT Scores reviewed by your university’s Office of Admissions
    • College Transcripts if you attend another college while attending high school or the summer before Fall semester.
    • Your university’s Official Transcript listing fall and spring grades
    • Your Student Aid Reports (SAR) for 2014-2015 and 2015-2016.
    • JAMP Applicant Evaluation Letters: An applicant is required to submit two letters of evaluation. The JAMP Applicant Evaluation Form must be used to collect the evaluation information and returned to the JAMP Faculty Director.

      These letters must be from the following individuals:

      a) JAMP Faculty Director
      b) University Faculty

    • JAMP Faculty Director’s Applicant Summary Report.

    You must meet with your JAMP Faculty Director as soon as possible to discuss your application and the supporting documents listed above. We recommend you meet with your JAMP Faculty Director as soon as possible to discuss your application and supporting documents.

    I am concurrently taking college classes while I am in high school. Will those classes count towards the 27 semester hour requirement for the for the freshman year?

    No. You must complete 27 hours of undergraduate credit during the first year of college after graduation from high school with a 3.25 grade point average.

    When do I apply to JAMP?

    The JAMP Application opens on May 1 and closes on September 29 for 2017. Please refer to the JAMP Timeline for reference.

    What is the current mean SAT and/or ACT score for the State of Texas?

    The mean Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and American College Testing (ACT) Mean Scores for students entering college in Fall 2015 and Fall 2016 are as follows:

    Fall 2015   Fall 2016
    Combined 1490   Composite 20.9 Combined 1484   Composite 20.6
    Critical Reading 495   English 19.8 Critical Reading 494   English 19.4
    Math 511   Math 21.1 Math 508   Math 20.7
    Writing 484   Reading 21.1 Writing 482   Reading 21.0
          Science 21.0       Science 20.7

    I have been accepted to one of the participating universities, but I want to start in the summer. Will I still be eligible?

    Yes, but you must take 27 hours of undergraduate credit during the first year. You must take all prerequisite coursework at the home undergraduate school.
    Consult with your JAMP Faculty Director for academic advising. Also, review the program criteria and review "Entrance into Medical School as JAMP student" for prerequisite coursework details.

    I have completed several AP classes and have scored high enough to receive college credit for my AP work. Can I count this towards the 27 semester hour requirement?

    You may only count three hours of AP credit towards the 27 hour requirement. The rest of the AP credit that you have earned may count towards your college degree plan if it applies at your university.

    I want to start at my local community college and then transfer to one of the participating universities. Will I still be eligible to apply to JAMP?

    Yes! You must be enrolled in a college not later than the fall semester immediately following graduation from high school and at the time of application to JAMP be enrolled at one of the participating universities.

    You must complete 27 or more hours during your first year. Please consult with the JAMP Faculty Director at the participating university you plan to transfer to for academic advising. I am a current JAMP student.

    Can I take coursework at other institutions?

    Yes, however, you must take all prerequisite coursework at the home undergraduate school. Consult with your JAMP Faculty Director for academic advising.

    How do I find out if I am accepted, rejected or an alternate?

    You will receive an email message detailing your status in JAMP.