skip to main content

Learn More About the Application

Get Involved

Current Scholars

About JAMP


Is JAMP only students interested in medical school?

JAMP is for students wanting to become a medical doctor (MD) or a doctor of osteopathic medicine (DO).

What is considered economically disadvantaged?

JAMP defines "economically disadvantaged" as a student who has an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) up to 8000, calculated from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA), unless other evidence of economic disadvantaged status exists.

You must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your EFC.

Do I have to be a Texas Resident to apply to JAMP?

Yes. You must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident with Texas as your state of residency. In addition, you must be a Texas resident for purposes of tuition under Subchapter B, Chapter 54 of the Texas Education Code. Please refer to the TMDSAS Texas residency page for more information.

If you are unsure about your residency qualifications, please contact the JAMP office.

How would I know if I want to become a doctor?

You should also make sure you are ready for this career. See what it takes to become a doctor.

How do I find out who the JAMP Faculty Director is at my prospective college?

Find a list of the JAMP Faculty Directors by school on our Participating Universities page.

How do I get an application?

The application to JAMP is online only. No paper version of the application is available. You can begin your application to JAMP, you can click on the [Portal Login - Applicant] tab at the top of our website.

When do I apply?

Check out the How to Become a JAMPer page for information on JAMP criteria and information on when to apply.

What do I need to fill out a JAMP Application?

In addition to submitting the JAMP Application by the indicated deadline, JAMP requires the following additional supporting documents be submitted by your JAMP Faculty Director no later than the deadline published. These are:

  • A copy of your High School Transcript and Class Rank reviewed by your University’s Office of Admissions.
  • College Transcripts if you attend another college while attending high school or the summer before Fall semester.
  • Your university’s Official Transcript listing fall and spring grades
  • Your Student Aid Reports (SAR) for two years.
  • JAMP Applicant Evaluation Letters: An applicant is required to submit two letters of evaluation. The JAMP Applicant Evaluation Form must be used to collect the evaluation information and returned to the JAMP Faculty Director.
    These letters must be from the following individuals:
    • JAMP Faculty Director
    • University Faculty
  • JAMP Faculty Director’s Applicant Summary Report

You must meet with your JAMP Faculty Director as soon as possible to discuss your application and the supporting documents listed above. We recommend you meet with your JAMP Faculty Director as soon as possible to discuss your application and supporting documents.

I am concurrently taking college classes while I am in high school. Will those classes count towards the 27 semester hour requirement for the for the freshman year?

This is dependent on the admission track to JAMP you are pursuing.

  • Early Admission: Earn at least 27 hours of college credit as a full-time student during your Senior year of High school (Dual Credit or Early College high school) including two semesters of General Chemistry (with associated labs) with a grade of "C" or better. 
  • Regular Admission: Complete at least 27 hours of college credit as a full-time student during first year of college after graduation from high school including two semesters of General Chemistry (with associated labs) with a grade of "C" or better. 
I have been accepted to one of the participating universities, but I want to start in the summer. Will I still be eligible?

Yes, but you must ensure that you will complete 27 hours of undergraduate credit by the time you apply to JAMP.

Consult with your JAMP Faculty Director for academic advising. Also, review the program criteria and review "Entrance into Medical School as JAMP student" for prerequisite coursework details.

I have completed several AP classes and have scored high enough to receive college credit for my AP work. Can I count this towards the 27 semester hour requirement?

You may only count three hours of AP credit towards the 27 hour requirement. The rest of the AP credit that you have earned may count towards your college degree plan if it applies at your university.

I want to start at my local community college and then transfer to one of the participating universities. Will I still be eligible to apply to JAMP?

Yes! You must be enrolled in a college not later than the fall semester immediately following graduation from high school and at the time of application to JAMP be enrolled at one of the participating universities.

You must complete 27 or more hours during your first year as a full-time student. Please consult with the JAMP Faculty Director at the participating university you plan to transfer to for academic advising. I am a current JAMP student.

Can I take coursework at other institutions?

Yes, however, you must take all prerequisite coursework at the home undergraduate school. Consult with your JAMP Faculty Director for academic advising.

How do I find out if I am accepted, rejected or an alternate?

You will receive an email message detailing your status in JAMP.